Friday, April 25, 2014

Day 8 - Easter Monday

Easter Monday was the highlight of the weekend!

Sean and I woke up decently early to receive a delivery of new fish for our aquarium. His work buddy couldn’t care for them anymore, knew we had an aquarium, and made plans with Sean to swing by to drop them off. There were some real beauties in the bunch and that made me happy.

While Sean dealt with that situation, I was getting ready for our planned day. We had plans to go to Abbotsford to visit my family. My sister, Mandi lives out there with her husband, Jeremy and my little nephew, Zane. My dad and his fiancĂ©e Anna would be there also.  

When I was made-up and ready, I whipped up a double batch of Scramblettes for Sean and me. I love that they are so quick to make, it doesn’t take much to make a big batch, and they are quick to eat.

We drove from West Vancouver to Abbotsford in just over an hour. Everyone was already there and waiting. Since my sister knew I am doing the Whole30, she offered to look at the grocery list and try to accommodate Sean and I. I had offered to bring our own food, but she insisted. Jeremy presented us with Chicken breasts, grilled with just olive oil and salt and pepper. They were simple as per my request but tasty. There was an array of raw veggies on the table as well, and I loaded my plate with carrots.

We all went for a walk around a large park in Abby. We played with Zaney Pants (what I call him – it’s catching on…) at the playground, walked on a path around Mill Lake, saw some turtles, geese, and other waterfowl, talked, told stories, caught up. The sun was shining and everyone was in great moods.

We got back to my sister’s place and Zane was ready for a nap. My dad and Anna had to head out but Sean and I opted to stay for dinner and go out with Mandi and Jeremy. I perused some local menus to see what we could have. I settled on Cactus Club for their 4 mushroom steak dish, figuring I could swap out the potatoes that come with it, for extra veggies. They were more than accommodating. In fact I was blown away by the server’s knowledge and willingness to accommodate my needs.  

She came by to ask if we had questions. I asked what the “Seasonal Veggies” were, and she said asparagus. I then asked if I swap out the potatoes, could I get extra asparagus. She said of course. Or I could get a different type of veggie, or anything I want. I asked if there is flour or butter in the demi-glace. She gave me a confident “no”. I asked if the yam fries are fried or baked. Maybe I could get yam fries instead of potatoes. She said “they are fried…. But I can have some baked for you – no problem!” I baked out and thought that is just too much to ask and ordered the steak with asparagus and broccoli in place of potatoes. She wrote down that I may have a wheat allergy and a butter allergy to ensure those would not be added to my plate. Needless to say,  I was more than happy with this service. And the meal was delicious!


Sean and I hit the highway right from the restaurant after we said our goodbyes and headed home. It was back to work the next day and we had to stop for groceries and I had breakfast and lunch foods to make… 

No comments:

Post a Comment