Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 3 – Trying New Things


I am not going to go through each meal in depth today…

For starters, breakfast was the same today as yesterday. Secondly, for lunch I just grabbed mixed steamed veggies and roasted chicken from Urban Fare, next to my work. And lastly, because dinner was the highlight of the day.

I will give props to Urban Fare though. A "higher end" store of the Overwaitea Food Group, which offers so many healthy choices. The staff are so knowledgeable and always willing to answer when you ask what is in things. It has a grocery store, deli, Starbucks, flame grilled flatbreads, fresh made sandwiches, a hot self-serve buffet, salad bar, hot food service, and is licenced. The Italian chicken I got, had no sugar and only herbs for flavour, and the mixed veggies were all compliant. I love that I can easily get fresh produce for lunch daily if I want, but today, Lunch was hot and delish, and right next store to my office!

I was delighted but not at all surprised to find Whole30 compliant sausages at Whole Foods. Another convenient, healthy market. Whole Foods is across from our apartment! I was looking for ground pork for the creation I am making for breakfasts for the next few days (more on that later), and I noticed all the pre-made, marinated, and packaged meats have every ingredient listed on a tag in the deli case. Many of them have stuff in them that is not suitable for Whole30 but then I saw the Garlic basil pork sausage. Everything in it was approved and each one was packed in its own all natural casing. I grabbed four along with the other items I went there for in the first place and headed home.

For the first time I used coconut oil for cooking. I was surprised to find out that it was pretty much flavourless and if you get some on you, just rub it in. It's great for your skin! 

One 'sploded!!

I pan seared the Sausages in the coconut oil and once I had a few browned sides, turned down the heat and cooked on low for about 15-20 mins. They smelled fantastic. On the side we had Kale chips or Krispy Kale as I call it.  Today the kale bordered on "not quite chips" – and that is when it becomes Krispy Kale. I almost prefer it this way but I think Sean likes it more like a chip, which is actually crispier. 



Today I felt somewhat blah. Worked dragged on and I was still feeling hungry between meals, though not as much. I am feeling a little tired too throughout the day, but this still early on, so that is to be expected. Sean mentioned feeling really tired by then end of the day. I suggested that he try the Pre and/or Post workout meal suggestions on the Meal Planning Guide since he does a lot of manual labour most days. I will update you if that helps or not. 

I also stuck a Larabar in his backpack and one in my purse in case we should ever find ourselves in a pinch as per the Whole30 "Official Can I Have…" list. They say it's not that good to eat these habitually because the point of this is to break those old habits. But since they are compliant for the program, they are a-ok to have here or there if you need an energy boost, or find yourself in a pinch.  You should also note that not ALL of them are Whole30 approved, so as always, read your labels!!

My breakfast food that I mentioned before, is almost done so I am signing off but I am really excited about it and I can't wait to share tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment