Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 1 - Easy Peasy


I am feeling pretty much as is described for Day One here. I pre-made Breakfast and Lunch last night and getting up this morning was easy since I knew the food was ready to go. One thing I wish I did better was plan a proper meal for lunch. Instead I whipped together a last-minute lunch with what we had on hand.

 
For Breakfast I made Egg Muffins. These are pretty basic and simple, as well as a great Make-Ahead breakfast item. They are also great in that you can really add anything you want to them and keep them diverse. I had two of these with a banana and a black coffee.







For Lunch I made Spiced Chicken Breasts and Tomato-Basil Salad.

The Chicken is pretty basic so I am not going to post a recipe but I am happy with how juicy and tender it turned out!
 

The Tomato-Basil Salad was basic too – but very delish! Chop some tomatoes, toss in a bowl with coarse salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and basil. Let the flavours marry overnight and enjoy.

 There was quite a bit of juice at the bottom of the bowl after I scooped the tomatoes into lunch containers for us. I put it aside and I intend to use it as a base of a salad dressing in the coming days.


After work Sean and I went right out to get groceries. We basically stuck to the perimeter of the grocery store, filling our cart with lots of produce, then meats and healthy fats. We hit up some isles for pantry items and bulk nuts.

We came home and I made dinner. 

Ahi Tuna and Asparagus! What a treat that was. I used this recipe (minus the butter) and tossed the asparagus in olive oil to throw under the broiler. All in all dinner was made in under 20 minutes.



 

Now I shall get back in the kitchen and prepare for tomorrow. You may find that preparing meals ahead of time is rough to start, but you get used to it and it will become routine. 

I have done this in the past with the HcG protocol. That was even more strict and more limited, but very effective – and it was 40 days of a very limited selection and food, plus 6 weeks of slowly reintegrating foods back into our diets after. By the end of it, Sean and I were so used to preparing meals, we continued to do so after. On Sundays and midweek, I would make breakfast-to-gos to last 3-4 days, then each night before bed, we would prepare lunches to take to work the next day. 

After a summer of festivals, and dining out, we fell back into old habits. Slowly we started eating out more, at first making healthy choices, then slowly less and less healthy. I came across Whole30 a few weeks ago and the more I read about it, the better it sounded and here we are. 

After my Rough Start I am a little surprised I feel so good. But I am happy about it and can't wait to make even tastier meals to share in the days to come now that the kitchen is stocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment