Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 5 – Good Friday


Today was a good Good Friday.

Sean and I both had the day off and I was looking forward to sleeping in. But of course the cat woke me up early, so I fed her the wet food she so desperately craved, and went back to bed. I woke up a couple hours later and I was really hungry. 

I made breakfast right away and it was the best W30 breakfast yet! If you have been following along, you know I made something on Wednesday night. We had it for breakfast yesterday, but my post was too long already so I decided to wait until today to share it since I knew there would still be left overs. I made Slow Cooker Breakfast Meatloaf from Meatified.com on Wednesday night. I sliced off a couple slices this morning and pan seared them in coconut oil, then plated them topped with tomatoes, and a fried egg, sunny side up and a side of diced yam has browns, as well as a small bowl of mixed berries. This was a really satisfying way to start the day!



After watching a late morning movie, we had lunch which was medium rare steak leftovers on salad drizzled with my homemade dressing. The dressing is simply olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and Litehouse Freeze dried herbs. They have many kinds that instantly rehydrated in liquid, but I used the Instantly Fresh Salad Herb Blend. I love the Red Onion and Garlic ones as well.





Then I suggested we go outside and run errands, before it gets rainy for the rest of the weekend. I have been wanting an herb filled planter box on the balcony for a while so I made that our mission. We went to Rona and found planter boxes for balconies, a spade, and some potted herbs. Sean picked out some perennials too since he has been talking about having some on the balcony for some time also. We got home and I instantly started transplanting my herbs to the new planter. I got chives, rosemary, oregano, basil, sage, cilantro and more. They look pretty, smell amazing and I can't wait to use them in my daily cooking. The planter's holders are made for squared balcony rails however and ours is cylindrical, so for now the planter sits atop out mini fridge that we have out there. 


Since Sean grew up in a Catholic household, that meant that fish was always served on Good Friday. His family made it something to look forward to by having fish and chips from C-Lovers, which became a tradition. He was feeling bummed out about having to miss out this year since beer battered, deep fried fish, fried potatoes, and tartar sauce are definitely off the menu for us right now, so I thought it would be a good time to make fish and chips Whole30 style. I peeled and cut up a yam to make yam fries from this recipe, seared some Ahi Tuna, and then tried my hand, successfully I might add, at homemade mayonnaise avec garlic. It felt like we were being really naughty but everything met the Whole30 standards.

It was really nice to get out, learn more new recipes, and do some gardening on this beautiful spring day. Perhaps tomorrow I will be motivated to start my spring cleaning…

No comments:

Post a Comment