Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Days 13 & 14 - 2nd Weekend


This weekend I spent a night away from home and then had company.



On Saturday I got up early because I had very special plans – babysitting my one year old nephew!  I had made Scotch Eggs the night before so I heated up two in the oven while I got ready. These were easy to make, easy to reheat, good cold, and a good breakfast on the go. Oh and so so yummy!



I planned to take the Greyhound bus and stay the night in Abbotsford so I had transferred all my purse stuff to my backpack, just as the city bus arrived and I suddenly doubted that I put my bus pass in my backpack too and I couldn’t find it so I missed the bus and cabbed to the Greyhound bus station. I checked the bus schedule and had I waiting for the next one, I would have missed the Greyhound one so I called a cab. Because of this, I had some time so I grabbed a coffee, which I promptly spilled on the bus as I was getting settled. I put my stuff down on the seat and bolted to the bathroom at the back and pulled the door. I pulled and pulled and it wouldn’t budge! So I pushed and the door flew open and crashed loudly into the toilet seat. I propped it open with my foot and frantically looked for paper towel – no dice! I grabbed toilet paper and it was that super cheap kind that rips after every square or two. I grabbed as much as I could and sopped up my mess just as the bus was pulling out. Phew! What an ordeal, typical me.




After I finally got settled, I read some ISWF on my Kindle. I am not skipping over the chapters about why we eat the way we eat (an option they give at the start) and I find it all so very interesting. This book has really made me re-think about how I think about food. But they didn’t over complicate it. I have always know that I could achieve better health if I could just arm myself with the knowledge of a nutritionist, but every time I tried to read articles and/or books, I would find it overwhelming or dry or just too much information to cram into my brain.  The way ISWF is written is down to earth, easy to understand, and quite humorous and entertaining as well. It’s a good read in its own right and I can’t wait to read more of it. If you have not read it yet, please consider I as it can only add to and enhance the whole Whole30 experience.



I arrived in Abby, and my sister tells me she has to go to a kid’s birthday party and I was welcome to join. I could have stayed at her place and caught up on my blog, but I wanted to see my nephew as much as possible and it was lots of fun! It was a rec centre gym, rented out with gym activities for kids (scooters, parachute, etc) and bouncy castles. I was hungry by the time I was done running around with my nephew but disappointed when I suddenly remembered kid party food of my era. But then I was all the more happy to see a fruit platter and veggie tray rather than chips and candy. Kids had to eat veggies if they wanted cake! Go moms!!!



My sister was nice enough to take me grocery shopping while nephew napped. I picked out some foods for dinner and breakfast on Sunday. We got to my sister’s and she gave me the rundown and her and her husband left. I fed my nephew per my sister’s directions and he signed that he was done just as I started cooking. I let him out of his chair to go play with toys but he wanted me to come too. I followed him and took out some toys to distract and ran back to the kitchen to finish chopping my yams. I pan fried chicken breasts in olive oil and seasonings, boiled the yam cubes with brussel sprouts in the steamer above. All in all my first meal cooked with a baby afoot was pretty good!! 



My nephew and I played with toys and had a dance party in his bedroom before evening bottle/snuggle time and going to bed. We got up on Sunday, and I made myself boiled eggs instead of fried since they only had margarine, with Yashbrowns. Mandi and Jeremy like the term yashbrowns. We all played with my nephew some more, then I packed up my backpack and went home on the bus. I had such a fun weekend and it felt really good to not have to be worried about leaving my house and having compliant food.



When I got home, I had 2 Scotch Eggs for lunch and some leftover Simple Salad. Sean and I cleaned up in prep for company since we had invited Sean’s twin, Scott and his friend Christine over for a visit. I was feeling confident that I could make something Whole30 compliant that everyone would enjoy. I went with Salmon and Asparagus with a lemon, caper dressing. It turned out fantastic. I will make this again, W30 or not. We all played a game and visited but it was a work night and eventually bedtime came.



Overall I had a great weekend, stuck to my Whole30 despite being out and having people over, and went to bed feeling great.

No comments:

Post a Comment