Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day 4 - Office Potluck


Today there was a potluck at the office. 

I am actually the one who suggested it. I suggested it about a month ago, heard about Whole30 three weeks ago, committed to a W30 start date two weeks ago, and remembered about the potluck last week. I couldn't put off starting any later than I did though, in order to be done before my birthday. My birthday is kicking off the May long weekend this year, it's the last birthday of my twenties, and I want to enjoy it. 

Plus it's one thing to put off starting like I did last weekend, but now that I have started, I am not going to stop for anything.

I initially felt silly that I had planned a potluck that I likely wouldn't be able to participate in, but I wasn't going, postpone it, cancel it, or make special requests for my own benefit. I soon realized that all I could do was bring a W30 approved dish and hope something else might comply. I remembered that I could always ask what is in things and hope that someone would bring something with basic ingredients. 

So I brought a huge bowl of veggies from Whole Foods and some dips. I wanted to cook something Whole30 compliant, yet tasty, but I am still new at this and I didn't want to spread myself too thin. Last night I made dinner, breakfast for today, plus Sean's lunch, so by the time I was done all that, it was already late and I was very thankful for my earlier decision to buy the veggies. 

When I got to work, I looked at the list and summed up really quickly that I wouldn't be able to eat anything on it. Though it wasn't for a lack of trying; one of my co-worked brought butter chicken. I had a brief fantasy that it was made with coconut milk, but I asked (yes I did) and he passed me a link to the recipe - sure enough, it had milk, butter, and sugar in it, so it was out. Next I saw deviled eggs. "Deviled eggs are just boiled eggs," I thought to myself. "With Mayo!" the angel on shoulder piped up. "She could have made her own mayo with compliant foods" the shoulder devil chimes in. (See what I did there? Deviled eggs…) I perked up optimistically, then sighed... Nah! I am not going to even bother asking about that one. How many people make their own mayo if they don't have to? 

Soon enough the whole boardroom table was a buffet of amazing creations. Everything from spring rolls to sushi, chocolate covered strawberries to cassava cake, butter chicken to bacon popcorn and it looked great! Co-workers started coming in one by one to fill their plates. There was chatting and laughter, discussions of the food, work, and weekend plans. And then it hit me; I was truly enjoying this potluck. 


This isn't even all of it...


It doesn't hurt that I work with a fantastic group of individuals. We are all around the same age, which helps. Many of us share the same sense of humour. There is often laughter in the office every day. Bringing everyone together was my drive to do this in the first place. It worked and everyone had a good time, enjoyed the food, and got to step away from their desks, stretch, and socialize. I am satisfied with that. 

I eventually had to step out to get food that I could eat. Same as yesterday, chicken and steamed veggies from Urban Fare. When I got back to the office, I had an array of emails to say thank you, and what a successful event it was. This put me over the top with happiness. Those who know me, will know that when others are happy from my actions, I am happy. So, I am happy. 

(And if I am being honest, it didn't hurt that many of them also said we should do this more often, so I can always make sure that I don't miss out next time!)

What did I learn? How truly dedicated I can be to my body. How strong my willpower really is! (It was a close call with the deviled eggs). How gatherings are about more than just the food, even when they are about food (like a potluck). It was hard not to give into temptation, but it was worth it because I am writing today on day 4 and not day 0. 



Most of all, I learned that there will always be things in life that I will want to do, that I will consider postponing for, that I do not want to miss out on, but that if I post put off doing this for everything I want, then I will never follow through. I am reminded that I am doing this for me, and me alone.


Sean and I had a big dinner to celebrate. I made pan-seared steaks, with sautéed onions and mushrooms, and I sautéed slices of zucchini in the steak juice while the steaks rested. DELISH!!

What is the biggest temptation you have had to face so far? How did it turn out? What did you learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment