Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 18 - What Whole30 Means to Me


Another day another dollar.


Sorry to have had two uneventful days in a row but this is life. And this blog is about how I stick to Whole30, not how exciting my life is. But I strive to keep it interesting so I will tell you what I ate today, and then share more thoughts and challenges though the journey.


Before work I pan fried some leftover Breakfast Meatloaf and served it with sliced tomatoes. I went to work and had the rest of the salad that I couldn’t finish yesterday, for lunch. Finished my day and then headed home where I made Ahi Tuna and Krispy Kale for dinner. Sean and I had a nice night in. 


As I continue through the Whole30 journey, I do more and more reading and follow more and more blogs related to Whole30 and/or Paleo and I am delighted to be learning so much. But of course there will always be articles that try to tear it down. I have found that all of the "fitness articles" that I have read that “Don’t Recommend” Whole30, miss the mark completely on what it is about and clearly have not read It Starts with Food. I love how the creators laugh in the face of this adversity by posting such articles to their Facebook page and allow their supporters to debunk the falsities faster than you can say “grain-free”. And the comments posted directly to the article from Whole30ers, correcting the writers and keeping things positive.


I am still working my way through the book, but the general concept is not hard to grasp. I knew as soon as I looked at the grocery list online that this was something I wanted to do and that it would benefit me. I made the decision to go for it and have not looked back. I have had good days and bad days, but of those bad days I have learned. I am still not perfect, but I am learning, that is what counts here.

Contrary to these articles that call Whole30 “Extreme” “Restrictive” and a “Fad Diet”, the Whole30 allows you to eat as much as you want or need to fill yourself, within the compliant food list and a general guidelines for portions. The idea is to learn to listen to your body. 30 days is the minimum they ask you to TRY eating this way, but many people, from what I have read, continue with it as a lifestyle moving forward. I have read of people who do Whole45’s 60’s 100’s and feel better the longer they go. 30 days is just the minimum that it takes for your body and brain to relearn how to process real food after a lifetime of crap.

Whole30 is not about weight loss in the least. It’s a sweet side effect but people report everything from blood sugars regulating to no longer needing medications for chronic issues because these are often caused by Chronic Systemic Inflammation, which is caused by the food we eat, which is falsely marketed as healthy. Even certain scientific studies that make claims on what food are healthy are often funded by the industries they are giving props to. This is teaching me to look into everything and not believe everything I read in order to make better choices in food and in life.

I highly encourage everyone to read “It Starts With Food”. There is much mention of Auto-Immune Disorders like Celiac, Lupus, and Fibromyalgia. The writers have nothing to gain in encouraging people to eat this way since Whole30 is free to do and the book is optional but not expensive if you want the how’s and why’s behind it all. How can eating as much whole natural food like meats, seafood, fruits, & veggies as you want, possibly be bad for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment